7/6/12

Pinterest Friday...Tacos!!!!

Tacos/burritos are a staple in our house at least a few times a month. We do it differently nearly every time. But the one thing that remains the same is the taco seasoning. I buy the packaged taco seasoning...the cost isn't a problem but the sodium is. My hubby has high blood pressure so sodium is not our friend! This recipe made the best meal for a large group...like 12 to be exact while we are on vacation with the Holland clan!
homemade taco seasoning Homemade Taco Seasoning
At 5 Dollar Dinners I found a very easy recipe to make my own homemade taco seasoning.
{check out the orginal post at 5 Dollar Dinners here}

It was so easy...all I did was head to the store and by a bottle of each of the following.
~chili powder, crushed cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper~
Since the recipe called for equal parts I was able to just pour in the whole bottle of the first four ingredients and 1/4 to 1/2 crushed red pepper.

Once I browned the ground beef (a little over 3 lbs.) I added about 4 tablespoons of the seasoning mix and around 1 1/2 cups of water (this was too much water...but you live and you learn).




Boy was this a great alternative...the missing sodium was noticable but not missed at all!

And dinner just wouldn't have been complete without some dessert.
A simple chocolate/vanilla ice cream sundae with chocolate sauce, rainbow jimmies, and whipped cream...forgot to pick up the cherries, but there were no complaints at our table!

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment